Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Day 14 Home Sick and Actually Sick

I have been very fortunate on this adventure. I have for the most part been uneffected by the heat, the sun or the food. There were two exceptions. One happened a few days ago when I was introduced to the King of Fruits, Durian.

People here either love this fruit or hate it. The outside shell is hard and thorny and difficult to open. The edible, if you can call it part are the yellow pods inside. This fruit smells so bad that it is sold on the roadside and banned by public transit. Jasmah bought some already removed from the shell and sold in a styrophome take out container. While we stopped for lunch on our way home Jasmah put the package under the car, otherwise she would never get the smell of it out of the vehicle. Durian smells like sweaty socks that were barried under ground for a month. It is the fruit equivelant of uni in texture with a slimy aftertaste that you re-taste with each of many burps that follow. The taste is like kim che gone bad but without the spicy flavor. I managed to swallow one bite, as a good guest and adventuresome traveler. It smell stayed with me for hours as the fruit cleansed my system. Only bad thing I ate the whole trip, period, and I tried everything put in front of me.

So besides the durian cleansing I caught a cold and spent the last day and a half sleeping.

Anyway we decided to have tea at one of the restaurants at the other Peak Condo complex, Peak Vista. The Peak Condos are on Signal Hill in KK. It is the highest point in the city. They are well know, in fact every time we had something delivered, we only had to say Peak Condos and they usually knew where to find it. There are a  number of buildings and the one Jasmah owns is in the original Peak Condo Building and was built in 2001. Peak Vista is newer.

We found October Coffee House, one of the few coffee places I saw other then Starbucks. It is run by a Korean coffee roaster. It has a quiet atmosphere and the both the food and coffee were wonderful. They made me Korean toast. It is an Omelette sandwich spicy ketchup. It is sweet and spicy a zingy version of American Ketchup. There are sauted onions in omelette.

The food is a great balm, but there is no way around it I have a cold. I am so tired. and my throat is killing me.  I have been having a lot of asthma the last couple of days. I think all the paint and bed off gassing is getting to me. I am so ready to go home. I am looking forward familiarity and to being with Bruce. Today I am feeling homesick. so I guess this trips length was just right.  I am thankfully feeling a little more normal. I say thankfully, because we are about to take on the journey home. First 5 hours to Shanghai, then an 8 hour lay over in Pundong Airport then 11 1/2 hours to Seattle. So glad I have enjoyed myself on this trip because it it a long forking distance to travel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment