Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Shopping Mall Life

Jovian is the Muslim style clothing designer of Nicky's choosing. We found her show room.
She found a line she likes in a fashion magazine in So Cal, but it has not been delivered to the shop. We look at many lovely garments at the show room and send photos of them to Nicky. Jasmah is a really nice Mom.

After our shopping for Nicky dresses we head to Jah's school to pick her up. There are busses that take the local kids home, but since she lives 45 minutes away she is dropped off and picked up each day. Her dad works in KK, so he usually drives her. But with her aunt in town it is a great chance to have a 10 minute rather than 45 minute commute to school. She is a great kid and we have enjoyed her company immensely.

Having tea is very common here. It was a British Colony at one point and has taken on some British traditions, like tea (the meal) and driving on the left side of the road. I did not do any driving here.

1. Jasmah loves to drive.
2. They drive on the left side of the road.
3. Driving lanes and other traffic safety laws are treated mainly as guidelines here.

The new part of KK has a 4 lane road with medians running down the main strip along the water front near where Jasmah lives. Cars drive on the shoulder, scooters are everywhere and they zip around the cars going very fast. Many people drive only scooters. We saw a young couple riding a scooter with a very small baby sandwiched between them. I saw two people riding next to each other carrying pvc pipe. I was very content to let Jasmah and other members of her family chaffer me around. In fact I really did not go any where alone. Jasmah and I were together the whole time when we were out and about. I stayed back at the condo with the workers a few times while she went out to do errands. The last couple of days that the workers were there we did leave them for a few hours on their own. I did not really question Jasmah as to why she wanted someone to be there with the workers, I kind of just went with it. It was not like I was of much help when I was left with them. There was only one of them that spoke English and he was not there very much. Saudi, the main worker and I did manage to communicate through pointing, pantomime and drawing pictures. I did have a translator on my phone, but it never occurred to me to use it. Weird.

Anyway we decided to have tea at one of the restaurants at the other Peak Condo complex, Peak Vista. The Peak Condos are on Signal Hill in KK. It is the highest point in the city. They are well know, in fact every time we had something delivered, we only had to say Peak Condos and they usually knew where to find it. There are a  number of buildings and the one Jasmah owns is in the original Peak Condo Building and was built in 2001. Peak Vista is newer.

We found October Coffee House, one of the few coffee places I saw other then Starbucks. It is run by a Korean coffee roaster. It has a quiet atmosphere and the both the food and coffee were wonderful. They made me Korean toast. It is an Omelette sandwich spicy ketchup. It is sweet and spicy a zingy version of American Ketchup. There are sauted onions in omelette.

The food is a great balm, but there is no way around it I have a cold. I am so tired. and my throat is killing me.  I have been having a lot of asthma the last couple of days. I think all the paint and bed off gassing is getting to me. I am so ready to go home. I am looking forward familiarity and to being with Bruce. Today I am feeling homesick. so I guess this trips length was just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment