Monday, February 13, 2017

Finally KK



Sunset View Of KK from Condo


Our flight to KK was a refreshingly short 2 hours. They fed us some wonderful Malay style food and the attendants were lovely. Customs was easy. The airport was small. All was well except they LOST OUR FORKING LUGGAGE somewhere between Bainbridge and KK. We spent 40 minutes at the airport filling out forms, I hope it works. They will be contacting us when it appears.  The airline is giving us $150 ringits (37.50 US) each for our inconvience but we do have to go to there office in the city with our copy of the report to claim it. Hopefully we will have luggage sometime tomorrow.

We spent 2 hours dragging Jasmah's brother Jasni, and JahJah, his daughter around a shopping mall helping us find clothes to wear to the tribal wedding taking place the next day. If I was conscious of my weight before I left, oh my what a gene pool I fell into. After looking through 3 stores full of depressingly small clothing made of fabrics that neither of us wanted to were, we at least both managed to find shoes. It was almost 9pm and we were hungry.

We had some more amazing Malay style food at the food court. Fish soup, mixed veggies cooked with eggs, a fish that tasted like pork, no idea what it was, but I hope I get to eat it again. They serve Teh, (tea) panas (hot) hangat (warm) teh-O (nothing added) or teh (with milk and sugar). I had teh-O hangat.

After dinner we had about 20 minutes before the mall shut down, (the stores here stay open until 10pm on Friday night, apparently.) We tackled the ATM and headed back upstairs where there were two more stores where we might have a chance of finding something to wear. We split up, I went left she went right. After a quick pass through the store I knew that there was nothing in there that would fit anyone in my family except my thin 10 year old niece, and these were adult clothes. I left the store and joined Jasmah in the other shop. We ran through the store frantically looking for something to wear. Jasmah looking for the right thing while I looked for anything that my fit. I spotted the perfect dress for her and grabbed the biggest dress I could find that one might wear to a wedding and we ran to the cash register no time to try on the dresses. We were in the store for 10 minutes flat. And they pulled the metal gate down behind us.

We finally got to Jasmah's condo which definiately needs some work, to say the least, but that is the reason for the trip.  We chose the least gross bed which to put the sheet on the bed and covered the cloth head board with the top sheet. I hand washed our clothes so we are good for a couple of days, luckily the dryer works so we had dry clean clothes for the next couple of days and if our suitcases do not show up we will be shopping for a lot of stuff. Oh boy!

We are dead tired and heading into the one bed which we will share. Tomorrow morning we are going to buy at least one new bed on our way to the village for the wedding. God I hope this dress fits.

2 comments:

  1. What an adventuress woman you are!!! Love reading your blog Judy. Safe travels, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Judy for sharing - I have already learned that KK is Kota Kinablu and it looks magnificent on google. Don't know if I would be as calm as you without my luggage. Good reason to always keep meds and a few snacks on me at all times. As I am reading your post it is already Tuesday where you are. Do hope you were able to find something appropriate to wear to the wedding. Love the pictures, love the words, enjoying my trip to KK - love and peace - Lynn

    ReplyDelete